UVQG wanted to share their JOY, and share they have. Quilts are comforting and bring JOY to the recipient, as well as the presenter. UVQG has a number of service projects that share the JOY of quilting with our community, our country, our children and our world. To see children’s eyes light up, the appreciation on a veteran’s face or the gratitude from a mother’s heart makes everything we do worthwhile. Just check out what keeps us creating and sharing the JOY.
The Community Quilt project provides quilts to a number of local charities. In the last two months of 2018, seventy-eight (78) quilts were distributed. If you would like to know more about any the charities we support, just click on their name below.
- Family Development: http://www.fdcroseburg.org/
- ADAPT – Deer Creek – Adolescent Treatment Center: https://www.rehab.com/adapt-deer-creek-adolescent-treatment-center/5257762-r
- Battered Women’s, Children Center (Battered Person Advocacy): http://peaceathome.com/
- Mercy Newborn: https://www.chimercyhealth.com/index.html
- Early Intervention ESD (School System): https://douglasesd.k12.or.us/early-intervention/douglas-county-eiecse
- Healthy Families (formerly “Healthy Start”): http://www.fdcroseburg.org/
- Casa de Belen: http://www.casadebelen.org/
During the 2017-18 guild year, several members became members of Quilts of Valor (https://www.qovf.org/) which oversees the making of quilts to honor our distinguished and deserving veterans. Due to constraints of the nationally recognized Quilts of Valor program, UVQG creates Patriotic Quilts for other service men and women that serve our nation and community.
Every summer there are two sewing camps offered through Umpqua Valley Arts Association (https://uvarts.com/community-and-guilds/). Guild members volunteer their time to teach boys and girls, the basics of sewing and quilt making. Many of these children enter their completed projects in the annual UVQG Quilt Show.
Guild members also make pillow cases with matching drawstring bags for children attending Camp Millennium (https://campmillennium.org/) a summer camp for children diagnosed with cancer.
UVQG has also reached other continents. In 2017, one of the members came across the non-profit “Little Dresses for Africa” (http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/about/ ) she was quick to bring it to the membership. A number of ladies made dresses for the charity. After showcasing the dresses at the 2017 UVQG Quilt Show over 100 dresses were shipped to the charity for disbursement to the children.